In 1908 Barnegat welcomed a central water system, Barnegat Water Company, owned by Luther Cox. Luther was the son of Captain “Billy” and Marietta Cox who built the Cox House, which stands at the corner of Route 9 and Bay Avenue. The Cox House was the first house in Barnegat to have running water.
Barnegat Water Company was privately owned until the early 1980’s when it was purchased by Barnegat Township and is now operated by the Barnegat Township Utilities Department. We maintain, approximately, 78 miles of water mains and 80 miles of sewer mains servicing a population of 24,296. Currently there are 8346 water service connections being supplied by 6 wells and 2 one million gallon water towers and 7767 sanitary sewer connections serviced by 19 sewer pump stations.